Gender Discrimination in the Workplace
Sign up for our Beta and try it out yourself
Of all the workplace discrimination cases that take place every year, the majority of them falls under gender bias.
Tech Industry for example is full of male dominated jobs and there are close to no women in the workplace. Every year we hear the same story about discrimination against women in the workplace in Silicon Valley. This year, it was Susan Fowler’s distressing account of her year at Uber, followed closely by A.J. Vandermeyden’s reporting culture of “pervasive harassment” at Tesla. It’s discouraging to see that an industry so passionate to change the future can’t break free of female discrimination.
The allegations of graphic gender discrimination in the workplace that Susan and A.J. describe are intolerable. But there are more subtle forms of discrimination against women in the workplace.
Harmful effects of gender discrimination in the workplace:
- Stressed employees.
- Harassment claims.
- High work pressure.
- Lack of manager trust in organization.
- High employee turnover.
- High workplace absenteeism.
- Low employee productivity.
Examples of gender discrimination in the workplace:
- Being frequently interrupted.
- Having decision-makers prioritize male colleagues.
- Working harder to receive the same recognition as male peers.
- Gender stereotypes in the workplace
- Ideas ignored until they’re rephrased by a male employee
The effects of gender discrimination in the workplace:
- High turnover rate for women in the workplace.
- Male dominated jobs.
- Lack of fresh talent due to less diversity.
- Gender discrimination lawsuits.
How to solve gender discrimination in the workplace:
- Hire more female managers and employees.
- Have a strict policy in place against defaulters.
- Educate your staff about harms of gender inequality in the workplace.
- Implement Your Safe Hub in your organization for employee grievance management and reporting purposes. It’s a secure and anonymous communication channel that protects your employees with the power of anonymity.